Do you have a similar project?
Post your project for free and meet the best App Developers, receive quotes from qualified companies and hire the best candidate with our safe payment system.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a 501(c) (3) U.S.-based non-profit research organization founded in 2002. In partnership with practitioners, investors, policymakers, and donors working with the global poor, we design and implement impact evaluations to measure the effectiveness of programs and policies aimed at helping vulnerable populations. We also mobilize and support these decision-makers to use evidence-based solutions to build better programs and policies at scale through partnerships with government and development organizations. Since the founding of IPA, our research has improved the lives of over 50 million people worldwide.
We are seeking a U.S.-based firm to provide us with an application developer to rapidly build and deploy a mobile application (app) for positive social change. Our mission is to create an app that will be used alongside rigorous academic research that seeks to better understand human behavior and test hypotheses for how to improve the human economic condition. The app will be used in the United States and internationally.
We are building an app for a combination of social and research purposes. Based on performance, we may contract the firm for other app development projects in the future (details below).
The intended app will be used to manage groups with similar behavior change goals, such as weight loss, smoking cessation, or exercise.
Additional apps or specifications may include the following:
• Manage communications between social work caseworkers and low-income individuals in both the United States and developing countries.
• A consumer finance app that will help low-income households manage high interest rate debt obligations.
• A consumer finance app that will predict and message and incentivize households to manage cash flows in a way that avoids overdraft fees on checking accounts.
• A map-based app that will aggregate local demand for unmet consumer services.
We are looking for a U.S.-based firm to provide one full-time equivalent programmer who will develop and deploy the mobile app per the design guidelines of partnering academic research teams and field staff from Innovations for Poverty Action. In addition to the programmer, it is expected that you will also provide other managerial and technical support as needed to create and deploy the app. At this stage, we estimate the programmer/other personnel costs to be in a roughly 70/30 split.
• Develop and publish apps for iOS and Android platforms.
• Manage the collection and security of data from these apps.
• Architect and instantiate back-end infrastructure platforms (hosting, database, software) necessary to support these apps.
• Test and debug source code.
• Produce technical documentation to represent source code and system dependencies.
• Monitor app performance, and perform break-fix maintenance as needed.
• Manage ongoing requests for feature enhancements and A/B testing.
• Meet ambitious project goals and timelines while also consistently producing high-quality work.
• Adapt to external factors as they arise, and proactively find solutions.
• Take the lead with a positive outlook towards getting things done.
Required Skills and Experiences of the Programmer
• 5+ years of experience in Android or iOS app development.
• Have a portfolio of apps currently available in the Google Play or App Store.
• Swift for iOS and/or Java or Kotlin for Android.
• Experience with iOS and Android SDK, third-party libraries, & APIs.
• Working knowledge of relational and NoSQL database design and administration.
• Experience using version control systems, preferably Git.
• Solid understanding of data and app security principles, especially as relates to protection of individually identifiable data and financial records.
• Experience using and integrating an open source CMS (e.g. ExpressionEngine).
• Experience implementing A/B testing on production systems.
In addition to the cost and the timeline for deployment of personnel, please also include in the proposal the following:
• Company history and References
• Cost methodology
• Technology stack to be used
• Main point of contact
• CV and credentials of proposed programmer
• Payment schedule
Please reach out to Jonah Watt, Programs Associate, Asia & Latin America, at email@example.com with any questions.