Do you have a similar project?
Post your project for free and meet the best App Developers, receive quotes from qualified companies and hire the best candidate with our safe payment system.
**WILL RESPOND TO ALL CURRENT PROPOSALS ON TUESDAY! THANK YOU!
Looking someone who fully understands our line of business first and foremost.
Please note that we're also considering Android developers.
Our budget range is flexible.
Brief for mobile app development for a yacht coating company.
Description: We are an inspection and surveying company in the superyacht sector. We inspect superyachts during the paint application phase to make sure the contractor tasked with paint application (and who is contracted by the shipbuilder) is adhering to the requirements as stipulated by the producer of the paint products. Only when strictly adhering to these requirements and by displaying good workmanship good results are achieved. Superyachts are painted to an immaculate finish and having a company inspector on site during key points in the process greatly increases the success rate as our guys can offer guidance with their expertise which is the best in the industry. Paint failure can cost millions of dollars in damages so the stakes are high and thus our services are generally seen as essential and worth the investment. Please note, we DO NOT apply paint, we are merely consultants. We work globally.
Inspection & reporting: The app that we want to have developed will help our consultants/inspectors during their inspection activities. At the moment an inspection on a superyacht paint project will play out as follows:
- The inspector will travel to the shipyard with various measurement instruments in a suitcase that allow him to check up on ongoing paint work
- The inspector will bring a separate digital camera to photograph progress as well as potential paint defects or areas that require attention or are not up to standard
- The inspector will aggregate all his finding, photos, observations, measurements and compile them in a written report in Microsoft Word.
- This report is sent to the client as PDF
Current issues with reporting
- Too labor intensive. The inspectors complain about the workload.
- Too much time spent filling in data that potentially could be pre-populated with a few clicks
- Too many steps to follow from inspection to report being sent (inserting photos, writing descriptions, adding tables with measurement data etc)
- Time between inspection and report being sent to client is too long as a result.
- Lack of standardization in terms of content as well as data presentation. All inspectors have their specific ways of presenting their findings. Would be better if restricted/standardized.
- Use of English language. Too many spelling mistakes. Would prefer inspectors to be able to access a set of pre-written sentences that are guaranteed to be 100% correct English
What we are looking for:
- Mobile app (no preference for iOs or Android)
- App will allow inspector to take a tablet to an inspection
- Allows him to adds vital data (project number, date of inspection, persons contacted) with only a few actions/swipes before inspection starts.
- Allows him to makes photos using the camera in the tablet. Allows him to add observations (text, just a sentence or two per photo) whilst carrying out his job. Essentially creating a photo report.
- Allows him the option to send this very basic photo report DIRECTLY to the client, in a file format that doesn’t allow the client to edit (PDF?)
- Inspector goes home. Adds his measurement data (in tables) to the photo report. Makes some slight changes here and there. Writes a conclusion, perhaps makes some recommendations making use of sentences that are available for him inside the app.
- Emails the finished product to company head office which carries out a final check before distribution to the client (the report that the inspector supplies should be editable (Microsoft Word?))