Do you have a similar project?
Post your project for free and meet the best App Developers, receive quotes from qualified companies and hire the best candidate with our safe payment system.
) U.S.-based non-profit research organization founded in 2002. In partnership with practitioners, investors, policymakers, and donors working with the global poor, we design and implement impact evaluations to measure the effectiveness of programs and policies aimed at helping vulnerable populations. We also mobilize and support these decision-makers to use evidence-based solutions to build better programs and policies at scale through partnerships with government and development organizations. Since the founding of IPA, our research has improved the lives of over 50 million people worldwide.
We are seeking a firm to provide us with an application developer for a period of two years to rapidly build and deploy several mobile applications (apps) for positive social change. Our mission is to create apps that will be used alongside rigorous academic research that seeks to better understand human behavior and test hypotheses for how to improve the human economic condition. Some of the apps will be used in the United States, and some internationally.
We are building several apps for a combination of social and research purposes. We envision each one needing iterations on a regular basis over the course of several years as new features are added for continued testing and learning. Thus, we are looking for a relationship with an app development firm over a period of two years, not a one-off contract to build an app with pre-set specifications. Examples of some of the desired apps are below:
• App 1 is an app to manage groups with similar behavior change goals, such as weight loss, smoking cessation, or exercise.
• App 2 is to manage communications between social work caseworkers and low-income individuals in both the United States and developing countries.
• App 3 is a consumer finance app that will help low-income households manage high interest rate debt obligations.
• App 4 is a consumer finance app that will predict and message and incentivize households to manage cash flows in a way that avoids overdraft fees on checking accounts.
• App 5 is a map-based app that will aggregate local demand for unmet consumer services.
We are looking for a firm to provide one full-time equivalent programmer for two years who will develop and deploy mobile apps per the design guidelines of partnering academic research teams and field staff from Innovations for Poverty Action. In addition to the programmer, it is expected that you will also provide other managerial and technical support as needed to create and deploy the apps. At this stage, we estimate the programmer/other personnel costs to be in a roughly 70/30 split.
• Develop and publish apps for iOS and Android platforms.
• Manage the collection and security of data from these apps.
• Architect and instantiate back-end infrastructure platforms (hosting, database, software) necessary to support these apps.
• Test and debug source code.
• Produce technical documentation to represent source code and system dependencies.
• Monitor app performance, and perform break-fix maintenance as needed.
• Manage ongoing requests for feature enhancements and A/B testing.
• Meet ambitious project goals and timelines while also consistently producing high-quality work.
• Adapt to external factors as they arise, and proactively find solutions.
• Take the lead with a positive outlook towards getting things done.
Required Skills and Experiences of the Programmer
• 5+ years of experience in Android or iOS app development.
• Have a portfolio of apps currently available in the Google Play or App Store.
• Swift for iOS and/or Java or Kotlin for Android.
• Experience with iOS and Android SDK, third-party libraries, & APIs.
• Working knowledge of relational and NoSQL database design and administration.
• Experience using version control systems, preferably Git.
• Solid understanding of data and app security principles, especially as relates to protection of individually identifiable data and financial records.
• Experience using and integrating an open source CMS (e.g. ExpressionEngine).
• Experience implementing A/B testing on production systems.
In addition to the cost and the timeline for deployment of personnel, please also include in the proposal the following:
• Company history and References
• Cost methodology
• Technology stack to be used
• Main point of contact
• CV and credentials of proposed programmer
• Payment schedule