Web Apps and Twitter Lite launch
Web Developers

Read the Web Apps and Twitter Lite launch thread within the Web Developers forum. You can reply to this post and participate in this discussion on the AppFutura mobile app development forum.
Need to hire an app developer?
Post your project
in 5 minutes for free
This is the Web development forum. Pick one of the following Web development topics and participate. You can also start your own Responsive Web development discussion.
Developers

on Web Developers Forum at Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:48 pm

Seems like webapps are here to stay. Since Google announced on February that web apps would appear on the app drawer as full apps, we have seen some interesting movements from major players in the app community. The last one is Twitter Lite, a lighter, faster version of Twitter developed in collaboration with Google with their Progressive Web Apps technology.

Webapps are fundamentally different from native apps but thanks to this technology, they are now on the same level, allowing them to use features that up until now were considered exclusive to native apps. Some major features that are now easily available to web apps are Push Notifications, Access to device sensor such as the microphone, the accelerometer or the light sensor, an Icon in the App Drawer or the possibility to install them, among many others.

They can now have some of the tools of native apps, with the benefits of a website: They can be indexed by search engines! :D

What are your thoughts on web apps? Are they the future of mobile app development? Do they lack the potential of native apps?

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/6/152037 ... data-saver
Ready4S

Re: Web Apps and Twitter Lite launch

on Web Developers Forum at Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:03 am

I think that web apps are here to stay and I hope, they will be more and more advanced.
Like the new Twitter lite app, didn't see that one, thank you for sharing!
I like the push notifications that web apps have, I find it especially useful on Facebook.
I think that some kind of web apps will never by replaced by mobile, like for example banking web apps - generation (I am using it as well, although, IMHO my bank mobile mobile application is much more user friendly, thanks to for example finger recognition way of logging) using it for a very long time won't switch for mobile versions.
AppInventiv

Re: Web Apps and Twitter Lite launch

on Web Developers Forum at Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:23 pm

We believe that one big problem which Web apps technology is going to solve, is that of Storage! Since you can directly use the web app version from the Play Store. It's also going to help users test the app's relevancy, feel and other aspects before downloading them. Web Apps technology is no here with Google 8.0 Oreo and we too hope that it stays. Nevertheless, features like Push Notification makes it even more worth a try.
Return to Web Developers