“Good Food is the Foundation of Genuine Happiness”
If you want to keep your customers’ happy, what else could be better than delivering mouth-watering food followed by good service? Although there are several online food-delivering apps that promise to deliver delicious cuisines, customers’ prefer using those which not only deliver good food but also offer outstanding services, convenience, and on-demand satisfaction.
There should be no surprise that businesses which provide instant gratification to their customers so much better than their competitors. The reason being, our preferences in terms of convenience have changed and we can pay a little extra to avoid any hassles. Due to this major shift, immense growth in the food-delivery realm have been observed.
Did you know that food-delivering apps such as Postmates have earned around $1.2 billion, from 2017 up to date?
They are not the only one who gets all the benefit, but they are also connected with 150,000 couriers to 25,000 merchant partners to deliver goods on demand who earn around $216.8 million in a year, averaging $18.32 an hour, such as the popularity of the app.
Uber Eats, on the other hand, has now become the fastest-growing meal delivery service in the U.S. According to the data from Second Measure, people are spending more on Uber Eats than on any other food delivery service in nine of the 22 most-populous U.S. cities:
But what makes them so demanding and popular that people don’t even think before placing an order from these food-delivery apps? If you too are planning to build an app similar to Postmates and Uber Eats, let’s find out what features and technologies you need to use and how much time and the cost is invested in building such apps!
Technologies Used to Develop an On-demand Food Delivery App
Everyone who wishes to have an on-demand food-delivery app would like to know the technologies used behind highly-successful apps such as Postmates and Uber Eats. Here is a list of technologies to narrow down your list of options.
Third Party SDK:
Features of Food-Delivery Mobile App
In order to deliver seamless user experience, Postmates and UberEats use customized panels for the user, restaurant and delivery. These panels help to keep a track of everything right from the food-order to its on-time delivery. Let’s discuss the custom features added in each panel.
After the successful installation of the online food-delivery app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store, customers need to fill the details required to order food.
1. Login: Either user can fill their detail such as email address and password on their own or they can simply log in via various social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Gmail. Another single-step option to log in is to get an OTP confirmation on your mobile number.
2. Location: Although users are provided with the list of restaurant options located close to your place, they can also browse the map to select their favorite or preferred restaurants/locations.
3. Homepage: Homepage is also known as the users’ dashboard where the information of every restaurant is available. Placing a lot of information on the dashboard is confusing, so apps like UberEats and Postmates display crucial information in a sophisticated way.
4. Menu: Menu is the most important feature of the on-demand food-delivery app. Once the user selects the restaurant, a menu will be displayed with a variety of food options, their images, user reviews, expected delivery time, contact number, and so on.
5. Food-delivery Pickup Location: Users either can enable GPS, input their address manually or the app recognizes the exact location by itself. Users can also set their pickup location directly on the map.
6. Shortlisted Items: This section help users to shortlist the food items that can further be changed before placing the final order. The user can increase and decrease the food count just by tapping the increasing and decreasing buttons provided close to the food picture. The user can see the overall cost of the order as per the items are added or deleted from the cart. The cost also includes detailed taxes shown in a transparent manner.
7. Payment Modes: once the items are finalized, the next step is to initiate the payment where the user will be asked for the confirmation of the order. On this page, users are given options for different payment modes such as whether they would like to do the payments using a debit card/credit card, net banking, cash on delivery or via payment gateway available.
8. Feedback and User Reviews: Users can also look at the user reviews and feedback before placing the order.
9. Offers, Discounts, and Deals: The restaurant owner keeps on updating the users via push notifications with the current discounts and offers on their food items.
10. Contact Information: Users are provided with the detailed contact info such as contact number, the address of the restaurant from where they have placed the order.
11. Track your Order: Users can track their order in the real-time and get information such as arrival-time, and one-tap calling option.
12. Search: Search section is a must-have feature for on-demand food delivery apps and is placed at the top of the home screen or user’s dashboard. Users can easily search their favorite restaurant from where they would like to order or food items they wish to have.
13. Refine Search: User can filter their search of a food item as per the delivery time, reviews, prices, offers, and discounts.
Although a similar procedure of login and registration is required for the restaurant owners from the app itself, they need to provide some extra documentation for the authenticity of their business.
1. Dashboard: Once the owners set up their account they are redirected to their homepage or dashboard. This page let them track about the number of orders received, pending and completed. They can gain insight into each order and its minute details.
2. Summary of Confirmed of Declined Orders: This is one of the most important features of the restaurant panel of food-delivery apps. Users can anytime cancel their orders if they feel any sort of delay in their order which leaves a negative impression on the restaurant. To eliminate that, this option is given for the owners, if in case, restaurants do not provide home-delivery or any food item, they can easily decline their orders based on their feasibility.
3. Account Management: Every restaurant can manage their app account in the way they want. They can upload their restaurant pictures, name, logo, food images, minimum order quantity, delivery charges if any, hours of operation. They can also mention the offers, discounts going on.
4. Payment: In this section, owners can provide users with options such as transferring the bill directly to the owner’s account, PayPal, or wallet.
Unlike the other two panels, the delivery panel also requires a quick login and registration. The app for the delivery panel consists of the following features:
Login: Delivery personnel receives the login credentials through Admin in order to start using the application.
Order Request: Once the order is placed by the customer, it is automatically assigned to the delivery personnel with all the crucial details such as customer name, delivery address, and order ID.
Food-order Delivery: the status of the order can be tracked using this section by, the restaurant owners and customers on their respective screens, whether the order is on its way or delivered by the delivery personnel.
Order History: In this section, the delivery personnel can check out the history of orders delivered by him or are still pending.
Cash on Delivery: Delivery personnel can receive the COD from the customer and have to submit the amount to the restaurant owner.
Payment via wallet/Offline: For the delivery of the food the agent get paid on a monthly or weekly basis by the Admin. The payment will be received either in the eWallet or directly in the bank account.
GPS Tracking: Delivery personnel is provided with a GPS device that is either integrated into their vehicle or phone so that customers can easily track their order status.
Google Map Navigation: Google navigation helps delivery personnel to find the exact location of the food-order delivery location.
Time and Cost
Time and cost are the major concerns of on-demand food delivery apps. Although the pricing model and the time schedules largely depend on the types of functionalities and technology stack you wish to use, here is the approximate value of developing and implementing an on-demand food-delivery app.
The cost may vary according to the below-given parameters and requirements:
The Final Word
Now that you know everything about Postmates and Uber Eats, you can quickly start developing your own best food delivery app. However, before jumping into the development process, it's important to set a budget and time you want to invest. Also, make sure that you do thorough research about the hospitality segment as it will help you to know about the current demand of customers as well as the latest tools and technologies available to serve this segment.
Find more top mobile app developers worldwide on AppFutura.